Validanguage News

Feb. 2, 2014:

It's been quite a long time since my last update, but I have some exciting news. In the next week or so, I'm going to get started on a Node.js module for Validanguage. The module will allow a single set of JSON validation rules to be used to control both client-side and server-side validation. Details are still TBD but I'm really excited to start working on this. More details soon.

July 30, 2011:

I just uploaded the latest 1.0.3 release, which fixes 5 bugs, all described on the download page. No new features in this release. Let me know via the contact page if there's anything you'd like to see me working on for future releases.

Happy validating,
Dan

June 15, 2010:

  • Chinese and Portugese translations now available on the custom download page.
  • I patched the version 1.0.2 release. It would throw an error if you tried to use validateRegex() with the JSON API. You can download the patched version from the download page.

    Or, if you prefer to patch your version yourself, change line 2467 in validanguage_uncompressed.js FROM:
    var regexObj = (obj.expression) ? obj : validanguage.el[id].regex;
    TO:
    var regexObj = (obj && obj.expression) ? obj : validanguage.el[id].regex;

As you all may have noticed, I haven't been doing too much with Validanguage lately. I've been getting the occasional support request, which I try to respond to, but I've kind of run out of things to add to Validanguage.

My one idea for something I want to work on is to port Validanguage to a jQuery plugin. We use jQuery at work and I'm definitely a big fan.

I won't ever abandon Validanguage as a stand-alone library, but I feel like if I ported it to work as a jQuery plugin, I could shrink it by a good deal and possibly break the dependency for a field which you validate to belong to an actual form.

That said, I have a kid on the way, so who knows when I'll actually get around to doing anything substantial.

January 13, 2010:

I released a new version of Validanguage with a couple bug fixes and some new features.

A full list of the changes in 1.0.2 follows:

  • Two new methods were added to make it much easier to add and remove new validations to an existing form. To add new validations to a form, call the validanguage.loadValidations(containingElement) function, where containingElement is, for example, a div containing several new form fields which you want to add validations for. Any validanguage comments in the div would be loaded and the validations added. There is a corresponding validanguage.removeAllValidations(containingElement) function. For an example of these functions in action, see the new Test Case 9 page
  • Added a new validanguage.stripWhitespace() transformation function. If you would like to strip out any leading or trailing whitespace from a form field prior to validating it, all you need to do is use validanguage.stripWhitespace() onsubmit or onblur. You can view further details on using stripWhitespace on the FAQ page
  • Added a validanguage.$() function which is used by most validanguage functions expecting an element, so they will accept either a DomNode or an ID.
  • Bug fix: Support form fields where name="id"

October 10, 2009:

As you can no doubt see, the Validanguage website has been completely redesigned. Thanks to nodethirtythree and Free CSS Templates for providing the HTML and CSS template I used in the redesign.

The goal for the redesign was to make the site, demos, documentation, etc. look far more polished and professional. Previously, validanguage was a very feature-rich, polished library with a very shabby website, which I think definitely affected people's perception of the library and what it has to offer.

In addition to the redesign, there is a new Validanguage release: version 1.0.1. The changes in this release are primarily small bug fixes and behavior tweaks which I encountered while working on the site redesign and the new layouts for the demo and test case pages. You can download the new version here.

A full list of the changes in 1.0.1 follows:

  • Fixed a typo in the regexes used in validatePasswordStrength()
  • Bug fix to substituteText(): substituting lowercase for uppercase didn't work
  • Fixed validateRegex(), which would sometimes error out if passed a regular expression object as an argument to the function
  • Added the ability to suppress the validateCharacters() function when using character suppression. You can now pass validateCharacters="false" in either the Comment API or Object API to use character suppression but without it adding validateCharacters() as a validation.
  • The default HTML produced by showError() has been changed to remove the leading <br/> tag. This was done because it is easier for a user to add some padding above the error message via CSS if they want some space there than it would be to remove the line break, if they don't.

Archived Posts:

Prior to my redoing the validanguage website, validanguage was maintained on my main drlongghost.com website. The links below link to my original blog posts announcing the release of prior versions of validanguage. Some of the links in these posts, such as those going to demo pages, were never updated following the site redesign and are likely now broken links, but there may still be some useful info in these posts, so I'm keeping them around.